Saturday 29 June 2013

Impetus Game Romans vs Palmyra

Last night Jas came over for a game, I've been gunning for ancients for a while and although my army isn't quite finished, it mostly is and is "fieldable", Jas brought over his rocking new Roman Army which look really cool, so here are some shots of the Palmyrene Army and our game of Impetus, it was a heap of fun, hope you enjoy the pics



Army with 2 commands, I stuffed up my list and had to take out two units after Jas put me right with the commands and commander rules! Ultimately my command issues helped break me in the end and a better thought out Army list is on the cards. New Crusaders force based in the background... my next project.

Warlord Games Camelry 

My T units
Syrian Archers converted from Lord of the rings haradrim which saved me having to buy the Warlord Eastern Auxiliary Archer packs but maybe I'll upgrade to "proper figures" at some point anyway

CL units
Light cavalry with Composite Bows and javelins, Cretan Bow skirmishers at the front, these units are made up from Wargames Factory Plastic Persian Cav and their Numidians box

Crusaders, next project shots


 
To the battlefield,
Antioch or somewhere close, we didn't play an actual historical battle


Not the best situation for my largely cavalry army with a shallow stream running across the table

Roman column advances to the battlefield eager for glory and gold 

Above and below is my deployment of the Palmyrene force, Archers protecting the camp far right, Light cav in the middle, Cataphracts on the right

The self proclaimed King of Palmyra and his Cataphracts

Above and below, Jas' Roman deployment


To War! we both move forward into battle

Jas' Roman Contariorum charge and my Cretan skirmishers end up with medals of honour and "unit of the day" after scoring a massive 4 hits from 6 shots. Oh dear!

I sent the cataphracts into the praetorians and they counter charge me but we only both disorder, yawn!

So in go the rest of the cataphracts, but they stall on contact and even having lots of dice doesn't guarantee that you will get a hit! I had such high hopes! Alas no...

One unit of CL with javelins destroying the roman flank, they also did really well

Until my command broke after I rushed into combat my other CL to get rid of those pesky roman slingers and they stood and massacred the cav. sigh!  Game over

Thanks Jas, great game, nice to be able to crank out my terrain again and try a new list, I had a heap of fun.
 

3 comments:

  1. Very nice report, a beautiful table and wonderful looking armies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool pictures and i like some of the kit bashing you've done with the Crusaders. I might have to get some more wargames factory and do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys,
    the crusaders are a mix of Deus Vult Templars and Foot Sergeants, Wargames factory Saxons Armoured and Vikings Unarmoured and Gripping beast Saxon Thegns bits
    They've been fun to put together, now to the hard part... all the painting!

    ReplyDelete